Contribute to Secrets of Mirage
It is currently Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:48 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: New Changes
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:49 pm 
God of the Realm
God of the Realm

Just wanted to let everyone know we are attempting to go over all of the game content and try to balance things out better (Astro has the unenviable task of leading that process at the moment). The point of it is to create a better risk vs reward system so that any single area doesn't give great exp, quest/collecting items, and gold all in a generally safe area. Don't worry, if someone seems to have been "nerfed" too much it can be fixed as it is an ongoing process. We (the entire dev staff) are also in talks to finally produce a new area to SoM. We will be working as a unified team to produce a planned out area and hopefully some fun new content including more powerful weapons and spells. It will take time but good progress usually does. If anyone has any suggestions they'd like to see in a new area, please feel free to speak up!

I have also been making some great progress on the update (I have a new beta tester who has been finding a lot for me to do and fix, and most of that is now already complete).

Let's all play the 'quote Scorpio in your signature' game!

Wooot small text.

Post subject: Re: New Changes
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:45 pm 
Knight

Glad to see that things are in the works. I'm sure that once balance is brought to the game old and new players will start playing again. Been a lot of issues lately, I will be happy to give my opinion on areas that need balancing to the staff. Overall, I'd like to say thanks for keeping this game going and I look forward to seeing it prosper.

I pwn nubs... everyday... that's what I do...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:43 pm 
Godly Poster

Two ideas for the changes that you've suggested.

1) Use the color scale as a level graph to introduce people to the idea of open world PvP. Start the game in white, then progress content into grey, then into orange... so on and so forth, until all end game content is completed in black. This would allow an equal scale for risk vs. reward since the earlier levels shouldn't be hunted/harassed by the top gear players, anyway.

2) Design each area with multiple color scales. Using the Crypt as a prime example, consider taking that similar format to the rest of the game. However; all of the crypt should--at the very least--be in red, even the repairs. Being able to collect the best armor in the game with an orange map not 6 tiles away is ridiculous, or even collecting the entire armor in yellow is just absurd. Knowing what color an area should be really comes down to player feedback, which I'm sure you could get plenty of.

All in all, I'm glad to hear that there is forward progress on the game. Should you need any type of feedback, don't hesitate to ask--just don't be mad when I'm pointed and direct with my comments. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:50 pm 
Lord

I am very glad these changes/reworks are actually happening, however at the same time I'm very disappointed that this wasn't done before the servers came back online and the game wiped.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:55 pm 
God of the Realm
God of the Realm

DontYouWorry wrote:
I am very glad these changes/reworks are actually happening, however at the same time I'm very disappointed that this wasn't done before the servers came back online and the game wiped.

Thb I wasn't really planning on advancing the game much further... I didn't even intend on bringing it back at all but so many people wanted to play again I decided to bring it back. Of course when it became so popular again with a wiped server and so many people on I also decided to work on it some more and finish/add some of the features I've always wanted to.
But the game has always been dynamically changing/growing since it's birth so this is normal.
When SoM first went public it had a fraction of content compared to now.

Wooot small text.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:00 am 
Resident

I just hope this new area is after fixing mages :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:30 am 
God of the Realm
God of the Realm

Bones wrote:
Two ideas for the changes that you've suggested.

1) Use the color scale as a level graph to introduce people to the idea of open world PvP. Start the game in white, then progress content into grey, then into orange... so on and so forth, until all end game content is completed in black. This would allow an equal scale for risk vs. reward since the earlier levels shouldn't be hunted/harassed by the top gear players, anyway.

2) Design each area with multiple color scales. Using the Crypt as a prime example, consider taking that similar format to the rest of the game. However; all of the crypt should--at the very least--be in red, even the repairs. Being able to collect the best armor in the game with an orange map not 6 tiles away is ridiculous, or even collecting the entire armor in yellow is just absurd. Knowing what color an area should be really comes down to player feedback, which I'm sure you could get plenty of.

All in all, I'm glad to hear that there is forward progress on the game. Should you need any type of feedback, don't hesitate to ask--just don't be mad when I'm pointed and direct with my comments. ;)

It's a good idea in that it should definitely get harder in later stages of the game.
I've tried to enforce that later on most areas should be red with black mainly for the most extremely dangerous places (not to be overused)

Wooot small text.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:11 am 
Resident

I honestly like bones' idea. Except maybe throw in a couple white map safe havens, especially in places like towns, so you can park your character with no worries. Or even fix maps in dungeons being orange at the least. Nobody likes a sneak attack while fixing.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:38 am 

Have you guys thought about putting it on a mobile phone? idk how itd work lol but i was just throwin that out there

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:58 am 
God of the Realm
God of the Realm

Havok wrote:
I honestly like bones' idea. Except maybe throw in a couple white map safe havens, especially in places like towns, so you can park your character with no worries. Or even fix maps in dungeons being orange at the least. Nobody likes a sneak attack while fixing.

Towns would still be safe zones

Wooot small text.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:39 pm 
Godly Poster

The problem with making fix maps orange in dungeons where the area itself is red/black is that it undermines the whole idea of the dungeon being that dangerous in the first place.

Using the Crypt as my example... collecting Chaos Mantle is one of the safest things to do in the game. You cannot be trapped by a solo person and you're about 4-7 tiles away from an orange map. Now, losing some experience versus losing some experience and some equipment... well, there's no discussion, really. You'd choice just experience a million times over. The fact of the matter is, the beginning of the Crypt should be red, with it progressing into black... with all the repairs staying as red. If you're worried about getting looted while you're repairing, taking off your equipment is the best option you have. However, nerfing the game into a Wii Casual is... just poor planning.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:57 pm 
banned

Bones wrote:
The problem with making fix maps orange in dungeons where the area itself is red/black is that it undermines the whole idea of the dungeon being that dangerous in the first place.

Using the Crypt as my example... collecting Chaos Mantle is one of the safest things to do in the game. You cannot be trapped by a solo person and you're about 4-7 tiles away from an orange map. Now, losing some experience versus losing some experience and some equipment... well, there's no discussion, really. You'd choice just experience a million times over. The fact of the matter is, the beginning of the Crypt should be red, with it progressing into black... with all the repairs staying as red. If you're worried about getting looted while you're repairing, taking off your equipment is the best option you have. However, nerfing the game into a Wii Casual is... just poor planning.

I like to think I'd side with the looter in the discussion more than the loot-ie but in this case I feel as if a point should be made for those who get looted. End game content takes a lot of time. FB is 44m exp - CM is 50m exp - OHB is god knows how much exp - Cestrum is insane amount of exp to get as well? - If a level 200 wanted to collect a CM, and a level 300 comes around - you're basically saying that level 200 has to run 15-20 maps (if you train by the fix) with agro npcs with a looter on their tail. That in itself is silly in my opinion. You can achieve what you want (imo) with training spots that can be easily 'trapped'. But I do think orange (or yellow) fixes are a must - especially for those of us who have the random IRL moments you can't ignore and need to afk for a sec (Kids and such) - asap.

I think FB is well balanced with white/black/orange - although that fix could be orange. This isn't other games where equipment takes a few hours for the best stuff.

Mayhem wrote:
I agree with Velkan on this.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:09 am 
Godly Poster

Velkan wrote:
I like to think I'd side with the looter in the discussion more than the loot-ie but in this case I feel as if a point should be made for those who get looted. End game content takes a lot of time. FB is 44m exp - CM is 50m exp - OHB is god knows how much exp - Cestrum is insane amount of exp to get as well? - If a level 200 wanted to collect a CM, and a level 300 comes around - you're basically saying that level 200 has to run 15-20 maps (if you train by the fix) with agro npcs with a looter on their tail. That in itself is silly in my opinion.

Is double clicking your equipment while map hopping really too difficult? I also don't see any silliness in the best armor in the game being a dangerous collection area. I shouldn't feel safe collecting Chaos Mantle--I should constantly be on my toes, alert and ready. The way it sits now, I barely pay attention. Even if someone logs behind me, they can't solo trap me so I can literally just run around them straight to orange and let them kill me/duel there.

Velkan wrote:
You can achieve what you want (imo) with training spots that can be easily 'trapped'.

I'm certainly not requesting that it be changed to be a spot where a single person can trap you.

Velkan wrote:
But I do think orange (or yellow) fixes are a must - especially for those of us who have the random IRL moments you can't ignore and need to afk for a sec (Kids and such) - asap.

Like I said before, having an orange/yellow fix right next to a red map 100% undermines the zone itself being red in the first place. I really don't understand what there is to discuss, honestly. You may as well make the map that I collect on orange, since I'm only six tiles from it anyway. And designing pieces of the game for people that may (or may not) have to take random emergency AFKs is just silly and brings nothing to the discussion. If you have a real life emergency, you may have to suffer getting looted if you can't spare the three seconds it takes to unequip your gear.

Velkan wrote:
I think FB is well balanced with white/black/orange - although that fix could be orange. This isn't other games where equipment takes a few hours for the best stuff.

Finality Blade suffers the exact same problems that the Crypt does--it is simply too safe of an item to collect. It's actually worse since you're one tile from a safe zone (of which I consider anything under red). There is no risk involved in a yellow or orange zone and everyone that plays these games knows it. Nobody cares about losing a few pelts and some experience (except f***ing mages), the only important stuff to lose is gear.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:32 am 
banned

Bones wrote:
Velkan wrote:
I like to think I'd side with the looter in the discussion more than the loot-ie but in this case I feel as if a point should be made for those who get looted. End game content takes a lot of time. FB is 44m exp - CM is 50m exp - OHB is god knows how much exp - Cestrum is insane amount of exp to get as well? - If a level 200 wanted to collect a CM, and a level 300 comes around - you're basically saying that level 200 has to run 15-20 maps (if you train by the fix) with agro npcs with a looter on their tail. That in itself is silly in my opinion.

Is double clicking your equipment while map hopping really too difficult? I also don't see any silliness in the best armor in the game being a dangerous collection area. I shouldn't feel safe collecting Chaos Mantle--I should constantly be on my toes, alert and ready. The way it sits now, I barely pay attention. Even if someone logs behind me, they can't solo trap me so I can literally just run around them straight to orange and let them kill me/duel there.

Velkan wrote:
You can achieve what you want (imo) with training spots that can be easily 'trapped'.

I'm certainly not requesting that it be changed to be a spot where a single person can trap you.

Velkan wrote:
But I do think orange (or yellow) fixes are a must - especially for those of us who have the random IRL moments you can't ignore and need to afk for a sec (Kids and such) - asap.

Like I said before, having an orange/yellow fix right next to a red map 100% undermines the zone itself being red in the first place. I really don't understand what there is to discuss, honestly. You may as well make the map that I collect on orange, since I'm only six tiles from it anyway. And designing pieces of the game for people that may (or may not) have to take random emergency AFKs is just silly and brings nothing to the discussion. If you have a real life emergency, you may have to suffer getting looted if you can't spare the three seconds it takes to unequip your gear.

Velkan wrote:

Finality Blade suffers the exact same problems that the Crypt does--it is simply too safe of an item to collect. It's actually worse since you're one tile from a safe zone (of which I consider anything under red). There is no risk involved in a yellow or orange zone and everyone that plays these games knows it. Nobody cares about losing a few pelts and some experience (except f***ing mages), the only important stuff to lose is gear.

I play with a laptop - I use a touch pad. Double clicking is actually difficult - especially if someone is chasing me. So yes it is hard.

I'm not saying you requested - I am saying to make it like that. If you want to use the map directly next to the orange map (SoEs) - then make it a solo trap spot. If you want to feel 'safer' then make the 2nd map up trainable. If a looter is determined to loot someone, then they will log in red (just like the old days).

You avoided my point about the equipment on this game literally taking hours, even days (for some people weeks) to collect. Hours spent on crappy experience trying to farm one piece of equipment, so a person can finally use 'good exp' - lost because they had to run 20 maps to a 'semi' safe area. The fix should be yellow (drop soes). I do not agree with making the entire area of any place all red/black. SoM has always had a balance between looting and collecting.

Mayhem wrote:
I agree with Velkan on this.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:06 am 
Godly Poster

Looting is the most important concept on this game.. How often do you see people get looted with these changes now vs the old som?

Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next